An Avalon water cooler dispenser is a convenient way to keep you hydrated and have easy access to cool water in your home or office. To enjoy clean and fresh-tasting drinking water (both cold water and hot water), maintaining your water cooler is important.
Although some water dispensers come with a self-cleaning feature (a self-cleaning switch at the back of the machine) to activate the self-cleaning cycle, others have to be maintained manually.
Ideally, you clean your water cooler each time you refill or replace the water bottle. Before delving into the steps on how to clean your Avalon water dispenser, you will need to decide on your cleaning solution.
Choose Your Preferred Cleaning Solution
While some cleansing agents are recommended for your water coolers, you should avoid others. The recommended cleaning solutions for disinfecting your water cooler include white vinegar or bleach. Not only are they safe for your dispenser tank, but they are also very effective in eliminating mold or mildew in your water coolers.
Avoid chemical agents or mild soaps because they can alter the taste of the water spouting from the reservoir.
Steps to Clean an Avalon Water Dispenser
The steps to clean both designs of the water cooler are very similar, but there are some differences.
Clean Top Loading Bottled Avalon Water Dispenser
- Remove the power cord from the electrical outlet to prevent electric shocks and enable movement around the water cooler without tripping over the cord.
- Take out the water bottle to expose the top of the bottle holder and the valve. If you spot a buildup of dirt or mildew, wipe it off with a paper towel. Mix baking soda with warm water for hard spots and use the paste to clean it off.
- Put a clean sponge into the cleaning solution and carefully clean the area where the water bottle attaches to the water cooler.
- Remove the water guard and rinse it. Then, clean it using the solution, rinse again and set it aside to dry.
- Take out the drip guard and rinse it, then wipe it clean with the solution, rinse again and set it aside to dry.
- Pour the remnant solution through the top of the water cooler into the reservoir and leave it for 3-5 minutes to disinfect it, then drain the solution out through the faucets.
- Pour a couple of gallons of clean water into the reservoir and remove it through the faucets. Then fill the reservoir with another gallon and taste. If you detect the smell or taste of the solution, repeat this step till the water is tasteless.
- Replace the parts you removed and return the plug to the socket and allow the water to chill for about 30 minutes before usage.
- Detach the water drip tray and use a cloth to remove excess water. Then clean the drip tray with the solution and dry the cooler with a lint-free towel.
Clean a Bottom Loading Avalon Water Dispenser
- Same as above
- Remove the water bottle from the bottom loading water cooler and drain the remnant water into empty buckets.
- Use a funnel to pour the solution into the water bottle to kill bacteria and clean it.
- Attach the cleaning bottle to the machine and let the solution fill the reservoir. Leave it for 3-5 minutes.
- Completely drain the reservoir of the dispensing unit.
- Same as step 8 above.
- Same as step 9 above.